Friday, 3 May 2013

Crowdsourcing: Summer Reading List

It's officially been two weeks since the end of the winter term and in spite of the weather, "summer" is in full swing. I have a lot of fun stuff planned for this summer. So much, in fact, that there is a very small chance of me actually getting all of it done. 

However, there is one very important thing I'd like to do this summer and it needs some input from the people who know - you. 

I used to be a voracious reader. As a child I devoured books as if they were the fuel for life. It used to drive my family crazy. University killed this. I have never quite been able to recapture my appetite for books. My year in England was as close as I could get but I couldn't maintain the momentum when I got back to Canada. 

As a wannabe writer, I know I need to read widely and often. The internet has changed the way I read and what I read. It's made my attention span a lot shorter and I now have a hard time getting into books. So I need your help. If you know of some really awesome books, please post a suggestion in the comments. 

Here's a smattering of what I'm hoping to get through this summer so far: 
      
Summer Reading
I want to get through more than this, so if you have read something new or old, fiction or non-fiction, and thought it was worth reading, drop me a line and let me know.

Thanks! 

3 comments:

  1. God of Small Things is so awesome! Just finished reading UnDiet: super informative and thought provoking. Mrs. Mike is still one of my favorite books ever! Tried to read Chelsea Handler's Horizontal Life and totally hated it; it just wasn't funny. Try using Goodreads. You can put in stuff you like and it makes suggestions. I love it. Plus I can keep track of all the books I've been reading this year. I'm on a book roll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd recommend Michael Sandel's "What Money Can't Buy: The Moral Limits of Markets", Derek Walcott's "Omeros",
    Irvine Welsh's "Skagboys" and Donna Tartt's "The Secret History".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Georgina! I'll have to put them on the list.

      Delete