Thursday, 24 January 2013

Crowdsourcing: How Can I Channel My Sass for Good?

As I covered last week, I'm going through a stage of major crankiness.  I'm pretty sure that the last time I felt this angry and dissatisfied with the world was my last year of high school.  The thought of my regressing to my 17 year old state is both alarmingly terrifying and strangely freeing.  Terrifying because I know fully appreciate how annoying 17 year-olds are, and freeing because I feel like I was at the height of my creative potential at that point.

When I was 17, being a rebellious, angry teen made me motivated.  It made me want to change the world.   It made me want to rise above the masses and become the most brilliant bad-ass the world had ever seen.  This version of my cranky angst feels significantly less positive. 

It's a lot harder to embrace my "bad" attitude this time around.  Part of me knows that it is a vital component of my personality, a key part of my creative process for personal growth.  Another part of me knows that it is an undesirable quality in a "mature", employable adult. Rebellious cynicism isn't something a lot of employers are looking for these days.   I've got the fire in my belly, and all I can seem to do with it is complain.  A lot.  As an adult, I recognize this as a Very Bad Thing.  

Complaining is not enough, my friends.  I am a grown up who is not satisfied with my own whinging.  I need solutions, because my strategic communications textbook has me pretty seriously depressed that my individuality will render me unemployable.  Then again, it's a business text and is therefore of questionable credibility.  And so I put it to you, the public, how can I channel my sass for good instead of annoyance?  I'm trying to work my creative outlets but as a student there just isn't enough time to get it all out.  Do you have any helpful strategies?  Know of any employers who actually appreciate people with opinions and personalities?  Should I be considering anti-depressants?  Or can I one day hope to channel my sass into something awesome?  Or productive?  The grown-up in me will settle for productive.  The 17 year old still wants to be Kathleen Hanna.

No comments:

Post a Comment